Monday, June 19, 2006

Day 11 - A Horrible Day for Fob...

Agh! None of the teams I was supporting today came out well! Of the two games I did watch, one of the teams showed a decent effort while the other just played horribly... Here's what happened at the World Cup today.

Togo : Switzerland - 0:2
Didn't watch this one, but from the stats it looks like Togo didn't do too badly. They played quite well, but didn't finish. The game was definitely very even between the two teams and perhaps Togo's performance might have been even better had they not had all that fiasco going on! The players on the Togo team individually played really well, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of them had some offers. They actually deserve offers. They played well and I'm sad to see them eliminated. Good job to the Swiss though. They did their job and held off Togo well too.

Saudi Arabia : Ukraine - 0:4
Ukraine was certainly shaken after having been run over by the Spanish bulls, but they didn't show any signs of weakness during this match. Even though I was supporting Saudi, Ukraine played very well and was more organized than the Saudis. The Saudis had some chances, but nothing much. Apparently the conditions are not something the Saudis are used to at all, which was very apparent since they slipped like a billion times! Well, I began to get frustrated with the Saudi's performance and actually got very bored, so I started watching the Simpsons even though it was a rerun...

Spain : Tunisia - 3:1
Okay, the Tunisian defense was amazing today! They are definitely the stars of this team. Tunisians led the game with one point for 63 minutes thanks to their seemingly impeccable defense, but unfortunately Raul came and messed it all up with his equalizer at the 71 mark. Of course Raul made a mess, but Torres just totally ruined the party by scoring another goal 5 minutes later. I was definitely angry even though that goal was pretty good.

Torres scored another one when he was fouled in the penalty box. The Tunisian goalkeeper almost stopped it, but somehow it went in. The game was definitely exciting. Actually it wasn't exciting as it was nerve-wracking! However, the Spaniards definitely were in control of the ball with 66% of the possession!

Also, I found the referees to be extremely nice to the Spanish and not so nice to the Tunisians! Some of the yellow cards the Tunisians got just didn't make sense. Did anyone else think the same thing? Arghh! Now Tunisia has to beat the Ukraine in order to make it into the round of 16, which I believe they can do since they did tremendously well against the Spaniards than the Ukrainians! So based on that I'd have to say that the Tunisians will be a formidable opponent in the years to come! I was hoping that they would replace Turkey for me... Maybe they still can.

Day 10
Day 10 games ended quite well for the teams I was supporting, thank God! Yesterday's results are like aspirin after what I witnessed today of my teams. My prediction were pretty good too save one!

Brazil beat Australia (2:0) and S. Korea tied France (1:1) just as I expected. Zidane may have played his last game unless France wins their next game. I thought Croatia would beat Japan, but fortunately they didn't beat them, but Japan didn't win either. Instead they had a scoreless tie.

Predictions for games to come
Tomorrow will begin the start of the last games being played in the group stage. To prevent game fixings and all, FIFA has set the schedules so that the last two games for each group are played simultaneously. Groups A and B will be playing tomorrow. Here's what I think will happen.
  • Germany will beat Ecuador (Supporting Ecuador and I don't think Germans will have an easy time!)
  • Poland will beat Costa Rica (Supporting Costa Rica)
  • England will beat Sweden (Supporting England because of Beckham and TnT!)
  • Trinidad & Tobago will beat Paraguay (Supporting TnT)
On another note: Just like to say that this World Cup seems to have some amazing goal keepers! I mean some of the saves that many of the goal keepers have made are amazing! I'm expecting these goal keepers to get amazing offers after the World Cup. I'm also expecting some of the defense players to get offers because I've seen some amazing defending in some of the games that have been played. Tunisia's defense today is an example of that. We should give more spotlight on these guys sometimes than we do on the goal scorers because some of them are truly amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment